BLOG_2019_10_17_How to Fulfill Your Purpose AND Make a Living
How to Fulfill Your Purpose AND Make a Living
17 OCTOBER 2019
If you don’t feel fulfilled in the work you are currently doing, perhaps it’s time to consider starting your own business based on your purpose and passion. If you want to envision a business based on your life purpose and passion, try the following approach.
1. Determine your strengths: Life purpose is directly related to personal strengths. E.g., if communication is your strength then your purpose may be found in that area.
2. Determine your passions: Passions are the things you love to do - with or without external rewards (like money or recognition).
3. Determine your causes: Identify the causes that matter to you. Is there a condition in the world that makes you feel discontent or compels you to action?
4. Find the sweet spot: After determining your strengths, passions and causes find the overlap between them. That’s the sweet spot, where you’re likely to find the most fulfillment in your work life.
5. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Based on the information above, write a personal mission statement – it can help guide your passions throughout your career.
It’s not (necessarily) about the money: Instead of focusing on a money goal, try setting goals that “add value” - a goal that improves the quality of people's lives or of the earth.
Whether you’re a bricklayer, a coach, a CEO or a solopreneur, it’s ultimately through helping others that we all achieve our life purpose.